Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pizza week for some reason.......yummy!!!!




Getting back after an amazing holiday can make it more difficult to get back on track...but I have been having a blast creating some tasty pizzas this week....I haven't worked on much as I took off another week to relax and chill out!!!

Lastnight I created a basil pesto, garlic, bacon, pepperoni, green pepper, green olive, caramelized red onion pizza....on homemade pizza dough....the possibilities are endless with a good old fashioned dough as a starter....and I made enough for two pizzas so tonight I made a white pizza.....with mozzarella,  red potatoes, garlic, italian sausage, rosemary, red onion and orange pepper pizza .....drizzled with goat milk yogurt......smells so good!!!




So here is a recipe I use for amazing dough...which is the start of any good pie....


Ingredients

  •     7 cups white bread flour or Tipo "00" flour or 5 cups strong white bread flour or Tipo "00" flour, plus 2 cups finely ground semolina flour
  •     1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
  •     2 (1/4-ounce) packets active dried yeast
  •     1 tablespoon sugar
  •     4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  •    ¼ cup Melted Butter
  •     2 1/2 cups lukewarm water

Sift the flour and salt together in a bowl. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, mix the yeast, olive oil, butter, sugar into the water and leave for a few minutes. Pour into the bowl with the flour mixture. Mix the flour into the liquid mixture. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth and springy dough.

Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.

Now remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands - this is called punching down the dough. You can either use it immediately, or keep it, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the fridge (or freezer) until required. 

I make two large pizzas with the dough....one rectangle and one large round....you can make them any size you like......

8 comments:

Alexandra MacVean said...

Oh my gosh, this looks incredibly delicious!! :) I can't remember the last time I had pizza!! Hee

Anonymous said...

YUM YUM YUM !

Silke Powers said...

That looks incredibly delicious!! I love homemade pizza... Bon Appetit! Hugs, Silke

Christine said...

This looks amazing! Wow!

Jana ★ said...

Great blog, I love your recipes and post!
I´m your new follower.
I invite you to visit my blog, I hope you enjoy it.
Kisses from Spain ^^
http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

Vicki Smith said...

Hi Diana. Looks really delicious. We have a tradition of making homemade pizza to serve every year during the Super Bowl, but I must admit I'm not as adventuresome as you are with the toppings. You're inspiring me. I've never heard of adding butter to the dough.

Michaele Razi said...

Yummy! I'm so hungry now!

marianne said...

I LOVE pizza!!!!

 
Blogging tips